This is what this week looked like;
We each bought in some foliage for mono printing. I managed to grab some ivy and fennel from my garden, both shapes I really love. Essentially the process is very simple. You ink the plate, arrange the foliage on it, lay a piece of paper over that and use an inked roller to take a first print – you get a front and back print on the paper because you’re using an inked roller. I found that the front images worked best.
You can then remove the foliage (or whatever you’re using), place that between two pieces of paper and use a dry roller to get a print from the inked foliage (I suppose you could use a wet roller too).
You can also take a print from the wet inky plate that the foliage was pressed into. I managed to get several prints from each plate, but usually the first was the most successful.
(They’re still on the drying rack in the studio).
Then it was a case of experimenting with inky leaves and plates, adding more ink, different colours, and just trying things out. I really enjoyed this process.
We also used doilies for printing, but to me they weren’t as successful as the foliage had been. Of course, you can print onto any paper you like.