A5 Final Images

The final images I’ve decided on a representative of the processes that I used and found most interesting and successful. Not all of the images were produced on site. In the environment I used a digital camera and an iPhone camera to capture both still and moving images as I wanted a full range of representation. Some images and film can be found on Instagram here (this is not my main Instagram account).

 

a5 final images (1 of 10)

Fern: Sun cream on photographic paper exposed for 3 hours in afternoon sunlight.

This is a type of lumen print. I placed bracken onto the photographic paper and sprayed a suncream over it, then removed the fern and exposed the image outside before rinsing in water and soaking in fixer for a few minutes.

a5 final images (2 of 10)

Moors Valley Forest, digital image taken during my initial visit 

This was one of the initial images I took on my first trip. Much of my initial work was on a less shady side of the forest that has a large lake and golf course. I took a lot of film photographs on this initial trip but haven’t yet developed them.

a5 final images (3 of 10)

Fern in cleared ground, Moors Valley Forest taken on my second visit

I took several images on this cleared ground. The sight feels quite brutal and the fern here felt optimistic.

a5 final images (4 of 10)

Cyanotype (stained with tea) using ferns from the forest. 

This was made on A3 watercolour paper in my garden. Exposure time was about 10 minutes. I made a lot of cyanotypes and I also used a variation on the process by printing ferns as mono prints, inking these up on a glass plate, taking a standard mono print of the material, removing the paper and plant from the plate and using the plate as a negative. I used black ink and green ink. The green gave too much exposure through to the cyanotype and the black too little.

a5 final images (5 of 10)

Decaying fern, taken on my final visit

It had been very dry for a considerable period of time when I took this image. There were a lot of changing colours in the environment despite it being July. This had been growing beside a felled tree.

a5 final images (6 of 10)

Supporting undergrowth, taken on my second visit

 

a5 final images (7 of 10)

Close up of leaves showing repeating patterns and texture made more visible when the bracken has aged. 

 

a5 final images (8 of 10)

Part of the environment taken on my second visit

I was interested in the different environments I found in the forest. This was the most typical; there seem to be two dominant species – trees and bracken. However, in the background it becomes apparent there are further layers, all in straight lines. The forest sells Christmas trees; I assume these in the background are a crop.

a5 final images (9 of 10)

Unfurled, taken on my first visit

a5 final images (10 of 10)

Moonlit lumen prints. These were my initial lumen prints and were experimental and so hurried but gave the best result. They were exposed between 6pm and 8am (when my garden is very shady) overnight on a full moon. 

These lumen prints were made on Ilford multigrade paper. Each individual image measures 3.5×5.5 inches.